Most often, components require some type of finishing operation to clean, protect, or make cosmetically acceptable. Amfas has extensive capability to finish the components so that our customers are not required to ship and receive several times to procure the necessary parts.
The following is a partial list of Amfas’ ever growing capabilities of surface finishing options:
- Plating – Any type of electroplating or electroless process which is typically a metal like Nickel, Copper, or Zinc to provide corrosion protection. Precious metals (Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc.) can also be applied.
- Anodizing – This is commonly used on aluminum to prevent the start of corrosion. We can anodize a thin clear coating, colored coatings, or thicker hard coat as required.
- Passivating – Typically done on stainless steel to remove any iron from the surface which might initiate the start of oxidation (rust).
- Powder Coating – Involves spraying a powdered paint onto a statically charged metal component, and then heating the part/paint so that the paint melts onto the part.
- Painting – Painting uses a solvent which dries after applied to a part.
- Polishing/Sanding – This adds a consistent finish to a part by either polishing, sanding, or sandblasting.
- Impregnating (Sintered Metal and Diecast parts) – The process is used to seal the pores of castings so that a better cosmetic finish can be applied.
Other Secondary Finishing Operations
- Heat Treating – Many metals are heat treated to increase their strength, or ductility, after fabrication by exposing the parts to well-controlled time/temperature profile.
- Carbonizing/Nitriding – Many metals can be strengthened by increasing surface hardness. Heating the metal, and exposing the metal to carbon monoxide, or nitrogen, infuses the gas into the surface of the part. Longer carburizing times and higher temperatures typically increase the depth of carbon diffusion. When the metal is cooled rapidly by quenching, the higher carbon content on the outer surface hardens creating a stronger surface.
We ensure that the finishing process is as controlled as the manufacturing process to ensure the best final quality of the product that we supply.